I had so much fun last year painting Zinnias from the local farm stand that I decided to plant some myself. They add so much wonderful color to my garden.
I tried something different this time, usually I paint on a white gessoed panel, this one was black and I love the way it made the colors pop.
I am gearing up for Leslie Saeta's 30 in 30 challenge starting in September and I could use all the support and encouragement I can get! She suggested picking a theme and mine will be still lifes using the various props I have picked up along the way and haven't gotten around to painting (and some old favorites too). To use a pilot expression I will also "keep it square".
I have been exploring the use of different mediums. This one was liquin. I felt it dried too quickly and although I like this painting I prefer oil as a medium, either walnut or linseed.
I tried another experiment with this painting. My right hand is sore and swollen so I thought I would try painting with my left. Just before I started painting I got stung by a yellow jacket and my left thumb swelled up but I could still hold the brush. 90% of this painting was done with my non-dominant hand. Maybe it isn't as non-dominant as I thought.
This is painting #100!
In January I set a goal for myself to paint 100 paintings and then to evaluate my progress. It took me just a little over a half year. Early on I saw improvement in my pastel landscapes but it wasn't until this week that I saw the same in my oils. Now its more fun than ever.
I did a painting of this still life in an open studio. I was not happy with it and borrowed the vase of peonies to try again. I read that oil paint should be the consistency of mayonnaise and I have been painting with it the consistency of peanut butter! I decided to try a variety of mediums, this one was walnut oil and I really liked the way the paint flowed. It was easier to soften the edges too.