Friday, November 3, 2017

Nov. 3, 2017

I am trying to re-organize myself and my painting life.  At the first of the year I will have a new system for cataloging my paintings but for now I want to start recording my processes to better understand what works and what doesn't.

Today's painting was of a pomagranite, started yesterday as a grisaille using brown madder. I used a 6x6 panel with a linen oil primed surface. I started the painting using liquin impasto as a medium. After several wipe-outs I took a break.  When things do not go well with my painting I go up to the house and cook.  I made Rippolitto for lunch and a huge batch of marinara sauce as well as prepping my vegetables for tomorrow's pizza.  Well then it was time to face the painting which I finished using a 50% mix of OMS and linseed oil. I am not totally happy with it but tomorrow is a new day.


I also did a little pastel study based on an earlier version of Tancredi. 6x8 on Uart 400 mounted with 3M to foam core.  I painted the surface with black gesso and then with clear gesso to give it more texture. While working I realized that the original was on a board painted with a sienna acrylic which would have been a better choice.  All the more reason to continue my  journal of technical info.




No comments:

Post a Comment