Friday, January 3, 2014

Red Pears

Red Pears
6x6 oil on cradled panel $150

It has been snowing for the last 6 hours so I have been snug and warm in my studio.  School was cancelled again for tomorrow so I will get to paint all day again.  I thought I was all set for the challenge - I painted a few ahead during school vacation and then  noticed that I was just about out of panels. I spent time on the web with Dick Blick, Jerry's Artarama and Cheap Joes.  I should be all set by next week.

My goal in this one was to stay loose and play with color and brushwork.


I start  with a sketch and overlay a golden section grid to decide on a composition.


I used a multi-colored wash instead of my usual earth orange and sketched with umber.

Block-in with thin washes of basic colors


2 comments:

  1. Lovely composition! I like the colors in the painting. Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your pears! The colors are so brilliant! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete