Saturday, January 18, 2014

Stealing the Show

Stealing the Show
 
6x6 oil on cradled panel $150
 
I planned to title this "Baby Bok Choy" then I changed the name to "Illusive" - every time I thought I just about had it, a brush stroke or a shape would go wrong and I would wipe out all or part.  It became "Stealing the Show" when the radishes decided they would be the focus.  This happened long before the highlights were added.
 
This is day 18 of the 30 in 30 challenge.  I am just barely staying ahead.  If it were not for week-ends I would be way behind.  I started this before the sun was up and was hoping to take a decent photo under my skylight.  I finished by 11 but by that time there was a thick layer of snow on the skylight.

I am using the challenge to try different things.  During the first week I realized I was running out of panels and so was Dick Blick. I put in an order that I knew would be back ordered and so I ordered RayMar, some flat panels and some stretched canvas.  I also placed orders with Jerry's Artarama and Cheap Joes.  This painting was done on a wood panel from Cheap Joes.  After 3 coats of gesso it was a pretty nice surface to work with.
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful! The radish has me hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your stuff- soft, strong and skillful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful piece

    http://saundersartistblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this one, great subject matter and composition and well painted!

    ReplyDelete