Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Cape Sky


Cape Sky
9x12 pastel on pastelmat (tan)

I took the photo reference for this on Cape Cod after a class with Ed Chesnovitch.  The pink under the blue is an influence from Ed.  I usually focus on the land and not the sky so this was different for me.  I really liked working on the clouds so there will be more, maybe I will start a series.

My plan was to do pastel studies of two scenes, "Snow on the Marsh" and "Cape Sky"and choose the one I like best to do a larger oil painting.  I want to try a grisaille and a direct approach to see what works best for me.  I think I will use this image.

I have to keep reminding myself that my journey is to create more landscapes simply to improve, I want to be able to create landscapes like Ed's that take your breathe away.

No comments:

Post a Comment