Monday, January 4, 2016

Lonely


Day 4 of the 30 in 30 challenge


Lonely
5x7 Soft Pastel on Canson MiTeintes Touch - black

This little tree is famous on Plum Island. It used to have a companion tree but that came down in a hurricane several years ago.  I have heard them called the bean and the pea and also the ball and the glove.  Now it is just lonely.

Just day 4 of the challenge and I am losing speed, this little painting didn't look like it was going to happen.  It is amazing how just one stroke can pull it all together (or turn it into a wiper!)

What is different:
  • I worked on black and tried Stan Sperlak's scratch technique - I think I need a different pin.
  • I remembered Ed Chesnovitch's advise to keep it abstract as long as possible.
What I liked:
  • The black ground helped because I didn't have to remember to put the darks down first.
Problems:
  • I underpainted the grasses with an orange and when I set in the water line it kept bleeding through.





http://30paintingsin30days.weebly.com/blog

2 comments:

  1. Sandra your paintings are stunning! How wonderful to have discovered you and one of the great benefits of Leslie's 30 in 30 challenge. Thanks so much for coming by my blog. Enjoy the rest of the month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the painting and I love reading about your process! And what a great way to keep a record for yourself of what you feel worked and didn't work for you. I love what you said about one mark making the difference, can so relate to that. Riding that ride!

    ReplyDelete